This one-year ADA-CODA accredited 12-month program with an optional second year is a traditional but innovative hospital-based GPR Program. Residents are trained by a world-class faculty of general dentists and specialists who work one-on-one with residents in all phases of dentistry. In addition to emphasizing comprehensive dental care, the program integrates medical applications into dentistry. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are fully prepared, highly skilled and confident clinicians.
To see a list of locations where GPR is offered, click here.
In addition to a comprehensive didactic curriculum, residents gain extensive clinical experience. Residents become exceptionally well-trained in the diagnosis and treatment of emergencies and trauma. In addition, residents are trained in:
- Planning and providing or managing multidisciplinary patient-focused oral healthcare for patients with general and special needs while minimizing the need for referral
- Comprehensive clinical care and management of patients as well as exposure to complex treatment modalities in various dental disciplines including: endodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, orthodontics, prosthodontics, oral pathology, and dental anesthesiology.
- Functioning successfully within a hospital environment
- Understanding of oral health needs and providing culturally competent care to socially/economically-disadvantaged populations
- Development of professional commitment to life-long learning that incorporates evidence-based decision making processes and quality management methodologies
Program History and Description
NYU Langone Dental Medicine
NYU Langone Health is one of the nation’s premier academic medical centers. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research.
NYU Langone Dental Medicine Postdoctoral General Practice Residency Program has been in existence since 1974. The program is located in the Sunset Park section of Brooklyn, within NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn, a level-1 trauma center. Our highly experienced, dedicated staff of general dentists and specialists work one-on-one with residents in all phases of dentistry to produce a "super generalist." Residents acquire the abilities to manage patients with complicated needs in a hospital and group practice environment.
The program also offers a special opportunity to fourth-year dental students who may request short-term externships at the hospital. These students may observe or actually participate in patient care thereby gaining invaluable insight into postgraduate education in a fast-pased, urban healthcare environment. Affiliation agreements for externships currently exist with the University of Pennsylvania, Tufts University, and the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Long Island campus
The NYU Langone Hospital in Long Island, a 591 bed training level-1 hospital, is located in Mineola and has a continued reputation for quality patient care. The clinic is located at 200 Old Country Road, where comprehensive care for adult, pediatrics, and special needs patient is being provided. The clinic consists of 10 operatories and has full complements of Assistants, PSA and attending.
General Practice Residency (GPR) residents participate in our core curriculum. The academic curriculum focuses on pediatric dentistry, geriatric dentistry, special care patients, and materials science.
Residents will learn:
- Comprehensive training in general dentistry; practice-based and hospital-based
- The newest information in implant dentistry and experience placing implants
- Current concepts in esthetic dentistry, pain control and sedation, orthodontics, preventive dentistry, endodontics, anesthesia, periodontics, prosthetics and medical emergencies in dental practice
- The principles of dental practice management and practice administration in daily practice including the principles of the psychodynamics of dental care, managing decisions and choices of care, quality management, and ethics
- Highly developed diagnostic and treatment skills
In the GPR program, residents are exposed to all aspects of dentistry such as endodontics, geriatrics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthetics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, oral medicine, and orthodontics.
All first-year residents (and second-year residents who did not study at NYU Langone during their first year) take a five-hour introductory methods and materials in research course.
This class covers such topics as:
- Basic dental informatics and on-line searches
- Evidence-based dentistry
- Evaluation of patient outcomes
- Critical evaluation of the literature
This aspect of the educational program provides concentrated advanced training in treatment planning, oral medicine, oral pathology, endodontics, periodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery. Our core curriculum also includes asynchronous online literature reviews in endodontics, prosthodontics, and sedation and pain control.
Second year (optional) GPR residents attend a more in-depth course in methods and materials for research.
- Epidemiology and research methods
- Data analysis and practical research design
- Writing a biomedical paper
- Writing a research proposal
- Presenting papers at scientific meetings
- Submitting a paper for publication
- Troubleshooting research problems
GPR residents have the opportunity to conduct a research project under the continuing guidance of the Office of Clinical Research and present their findings during the Annual Research Fair.
General Practice Residency residents participate in journal clubs to keep abreast of current research and learn to use an evidence-based approach to critical reviews of the dental literature. Residents learn to integrate research into daily practice and lay the foundation for a lifetime dedicated to providing scientifically based oral healthcare.
In addition to the core curriculum, GPR emphasizes dental and medical treatment of the patient. To achieve a deep understanding of comprehensive dental care integrated with medical applications into dentistry, residents participate in rotations in family medicine, anesthesia, and in the emergency room. They receive significant experience in managing in-patients as well as providing dental care in the operating room. GPR Residents at the Sunset Park campus also rotate to nearby NYU Langone affiliated community health centers located in Brooklyn.
Stipend and Fringe Benefits
The General Practice Residency offers its postgraduate trainees generous stipends and fringe benefits which are competitive with other hospitals in the New York metropolitan area.
There are 15 dental operatories at the Brooklyn campus and an additional 11 operatories within the NYU Langone Family Health Center Network. There are 10 operatories at the Long Island campus. Each facility has the equipment and supplies necessary to provide comprehensive services in all phases of general dentistry.
The NYU Langone Dental Medicine General Practice Residency Program participates in the PASS process. Our program does not participate in the GPR Match. Prospective residents can apply to the GPR program via the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS). Upon acceptance, a final transcript and dental school diploma must be presented.
- Applicants must have a DDS or DMD degree from an ADA-accredited American or Canadian dental school
- Must have passed either of the following
- Part I and Part II of the NBDE
- Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE)
NY State Applicants Only-
Graduates with an international dental degree AND a U.S. or Canadian DDS/DMD degree:
For applicants who have earned BOTH a dental degree from a non-US or Canadian school, AND a US or Canadian DDS/DMD program, your education must be approved by the NY State Department of Education for your application to be considered. To receive approval, candidates must complete and submit an Education Record Form (ERF) to the program and to the NY State Department of Education. The document can be accessed through the website: www.op.nysed.gov