Greene County Health Care (GCHC) - serving residents of Greene, Pitt and Pamlico Counties and the surrounding rural area with an emphasis on providing care to the underserved. Established 40+ years ago, it now has seven service delivery locations in two counties including four primary medical care sites, two dental care sites, and a school-based health clinic. AEGD residents rotate between GCHC’s Snow Hill and Greenville sites (about 30 miles apart), attend resident educational activities at nearby East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine, and provide exams, radiographs, cleanings and sealants in a mobile van at nearby schools. In 2015, GCHC’s two dental sites treated 14,135 patients.
What is the mission of your health center?
To ensure the availability of quality health care to all residents of Greene, Pitt and Pamlico Counties and the surrounding rural area with an emphasis on providing health services to the underserved.
What types of dental services can I expect to perform?
- Implant placement
- Bone augmentation
- Implant restoration services
- Fixed and removable prosthetics, conscious sedation
- Full endodontic services
- Pediatric dentistry, including a county-wide school program
- Full orthodontic services (The resident won’t perform these as this is an AEGD residency, so maybe we need to change heading above to: What types of dental services will I be exposed to? Procedures performed in 2015 in the 15 operatories shared by the Snow Hill and Greenville training sites are as follows: 6,028 restorations, 4,304 adult and child prophylactic cleanings, 2,006 tooth extractions, 311 partial and full dentures, 258 endodontic therapies, and 57 crowns.
What types of technologies can I expect to use?
- Fiberoptic handpieces
- Sonic Fill handpieces (Kerr)
- Surgical handpieces
- Digital x-rays, including Panorex (Phosphor Plate and ScanX)
- Nomad Portable Radiography (digital)
- CBCT system (3D Imaging) coming soon!
- Endodontic rotary system (two systems)
- Electronic dental records (Dentrix)
What is the patient population?
- 80% adults and 20% children
- 90%+are at or below the Federal Poverty Level and are uninsured or have Medicaid
- About 30% are migrant farmworkers
- 40% Spanish speaking
Are enrichment learning opportunities offered?
Residents have the opportunity to attend various dental conferences with faculty, including the ADA, NNOHA, and state and district dental meetings.
What types of volunteer activities might I participate in?
GCHC hosts several Missions of Mercy clinics each year in which free dental care is provided to the uninsured, underinsured and those who fall through the cracks of the healthcare system. GCHC provides oral health education at schools, Head Starts, Boys & Girls Clubs and attends 2-3 health fairs annually.
What is life like outside of the clinic?
With mild winters and in proximity to North Carolina’s beautiful rivers, sounds, and beaches, life outside the clinic affords many opportunities for enjoyment. Cultural and other attractions include:
- Eastern Carolina University Pirate football
- Kayaking, boating, fishing, and beaches
- Farmer’s Markets
- Art Galleries
- Live theater
|Name||NYU Langone Dental Medicine - Snow Hill/Greenville, NC|
|Description||You may use the name and number noted above to locate this site in the ADEA Pass Application.|
6 Professional Drive
Dr. Rob Doherty
Greene County Health Care- Greene Dental Services
Greene County Health Care- James D. Bernstein Community Health Center
|Year network/office opened||1975|
|Total # of operatories||15|